Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

Frequently Asked Questions

Before contacting us, please browse our FAQ
How long can I stay as a visitor?

Generally, the maximum stay under a visitor visa is nine months.

As visa-free conditions only last for three months (or six if you are from the United Kingdom), you will need to apply for a visitor visa before you travel, if you wish to stay longer (up to nine months in total) and advise your intentions in the application form.

INZ usually only allows visitors to stay for nine months in an 18-month period. To work this out, they look at the last day that you intend to be in New Zealand (eg 1 July 2014), and count back 18 months from there (eg 1 January 2013). When you apply for a visa, INZ make sure that in that 18-month period (eg 1 January 2013 – 1 July 2014) you will not be spending more than nine months in New Zealand.

How do I transfer my visa to a new passport?

If you have renewed your passport (because it has expired, was lost/stolen or your name has changed), you will need to transfer your valid visa into your new passport as soon as possible.

Please note that this also includes Working Holiday Visas which have been issued electronically (without a label), as the passport details on this visa MUST match the passport you are entering New Zealand with.

The new passport should be submitted for a label to be issued, which will replace the original e-visa letter.

Who can sponsor a visa application?

A New Zealand Citizen or Resident can sponsor someone for a visitor or student visa if they:

  • are ordinarily resident in New Zealand during the term of sponsorship, unless stated otherwise in specific instructions; and
  • are not sponsoring for the purpose of receiving a financial reward or fee; and
  • have not been convicted at any time of an offence under immigration law; and
  • do not have an outstanding debt to the Crown or other third parties as a result of another sponsorship arrangement; and
  • have not previously breached sponsorship obligations; and
  • have not entered insolvency procedures or have been adjudicated bankrupt (if someone was bankrupt in the past but has been discharged from bankruptcy that person may sponsor someone for a temporary visa)
  • are not liable for deportation; and
  • are not in prison or waiting to be sentenced after being convicted of a crime which could carry a prison sentence
  • if not a citizen but a resident, the sponsor must not have conditions on their residence visa under section 49(1)(a) or section 50 of the Immigration Act 2009 (these are usually stated on the residence visa approval letter and included in the note at the bottom of the visa label).