Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

As a part of their residency requirements, some migrants are required to pay English language tuition fees to Immigration New Zealand (a part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment) before arriving in New Zealand.

If you have done this, your money is in an account and ready for you to use once you’ve arrived in New Zealand. This account is used to pay your student fees when you enrol in English language courses at an approved course provider. You can choose which approved provider you want to study at and which English language courses you want to take. Your student fees will be the same amount as the student fees for other New Zealand citizens.

When you enrol in a course at an approved provider (English For Migrants in New Zealand), TEC pays your student fees direct to that organisation. Your pre-paid fees must be used within five years of the date you paid the money to Immigration New Zealand.

You do not need to take out a student loan to pay your student fees, as your student fees are paid out of your pre-paid fees account. However, you may be able to get a student allowance and a student loan for course-related costs and living costs. Contact Studylink for more details.

English language courses are run all over New Zealand.

When you are ready to enrol in an English language course, please call 0800 601 301 to find out how to start your studies.

English language courses in your area

EfM Auckland course information 2015 (PDF, 408 Kb)

EfM Wellington course information 2015 (PDF, 179 Kb)

EfM Christchurch course information 2015 (PDF, 250  Kb)

EfM Other regions course information 2015 (PDF, 363 Kb)


How to select a school for your English Tuition
• Choose a school you will find easy to get to.
• Choose a course that best meets your needs. You may ring the Tertiary Education Commission
(TEC) toll free Help Line 0800 601 301 to discuss any queries with an English for Migrants
• Feel free to contact the school to find out more about their courses. Contact details are
available in this directory. You may also visit the school to help make your decision.

Enrolling on a course
• Bring your copy of your Agreement/Schedule along with the receipt to the school to show you
have pre-paid for your tuition.
• When you enrol for a course, you will be asked to sign a Tertiary Education Commission
Enrolment Form (provided by the school) to give your consent for the TEC to pay for your
course fees.
• Please check the course name and the amount of the fees before you sign the form. If you have
any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the free helpline on 0800 601 301
• All prices are GST inclusive.

Refund & Withdrawal Policy
• You will be able to attend the school for up to 10 working days before the school will invoice the
TEC. Should you not wish to continue the course, inform the TEC on the above helpline. After
this the school’s own refund policy will apply. Please ask the school for more information.
• If a refund is issued by the school, on your behalf, this will be sent to the Tertiary Education
Commission and the money will be returned to your English for Migrant account.


Remember, if you have received a letter from INZ about your visa application or think your visa may be declined or expire soon – the time to act is NOW. Call us on 0800 967 584 to you’re your FREE consultation. Our service is strictly confidential and we can guide you to take the right steps to avoid mistakes and put forward a strong case.

I will be writing more helpful articles in the future. Like our Facebook Page to be informed!


Kind regards,

Jig Patel